Kathy Petronchak, alliantgroup’s Director of IRS Practice and Procedure and the former IRS Commissioner of the Small Business/Self-Employed Division (SB/SE), testified before the House Ways and Means Oversight Subcommittee on an issue that I know many of you are passionate about – reform of the IRS and its compliance burdens placed on small businesses.
During the hearing, Kathy eloquently laid out the frustrations that many of you have voiced over the years when dealing with the Service. Specifically, Kathy highlighted these six issues:
1) The decreased use of alternative dispute resolution processes
2) Emerging issues in an independent Appeals process
3) The lack of transparency during examination
4) Third party contact procedures that are prejudicial to taxpayers
5) The need to improve the IRS’s education and outreach efforts
6) The demand for stricter adherence to the Taxpayer Bill of Rights
To read Kathy’s full statement, click here.
As always, we welcome your thoughts and comments about matters we should bring to the attention of Congress. I encourage you to reach out and let us know what more we could be doing to better represent the needs of our clients and CPA partners before our elected officials.
Please fill out the form below to contact us.