Shipbuilding / Marine
Research and Development Tax Incentives for the Ship and Boat Building and Repair Industry
Many companies in the ship and boat building and repair industry are not aware that the government offers generous research and development (R&D) incentive programs. Even those that are aware often fail to capture the full extent of R&D tax credits that they are entitled. For example, many companies may be capturing relevant expenses from their R&D cost centers, but not all qualifying R&D activities take place in traditional R&D departments. In many companies, development, systems engineering, shipboard control programs development, and component testing occur in the plant or on the shop floor, and thus may be overlooked for purposes of the R&D Tax Credit.
If your company operates in the ship and boat building and repair industry, there is a strong chance that you could benefits from an R&D tax credit study. Let alliantgroup’s engineers and tax experts help you claim the credits you deserve!
Examples of ship and boat building activities and innovations eligible for R&D tax incentives include the following:
- Optimizing shipbuilding methods through pre-process planning
- Conducting block assembly planning for shipbuilding efficiency
- Analyzing optimal welding techniques for specific performance requirements
- Evaluating alternative joining methods and techniques for improved hull assembly
- Considering alternative propulsion methodologies to improve performance
- Evaluating innovative designs to optimize functionality
- Testing and development of new and improved components
- Considering alternative materials for boat construction
- Introducing new and unique control system designs
- Developing weapons and tactical systems
alliantgroup’s Industry Specialization Team
In order to better serve manufacturers, alliantgroup has developed an Industry Specialization Program that focuses on the qualification and quantification of R&D tax benefit for companies operating in the ship and boat building and repair industry. alliangroup’s manufacturing and defense contracting ISPs include individuals with educational and experience backgrounds in seagoing vessel design and shipboard systems development and engineering. This group has qualified and quantified credits for firms ranging from small privately owned companies to large, multi-national, publicly traded companies.