THE WORK OPPORTUNITY TAX CREDIT (WOTC)
HELPING PUT AMERICA BACK TO WORK
The Work Opportunity Tax Credit (WOTC) is a federal tax credit designed to benefit employers that hire individuals from target groups facing significant barriers to employment. Employers claim an estimated $1 billion each year from the WOTC, a program that has helped put Americans back to work while at the same time stimulating productivity and economic growth.
In late 2015, the WOTC was given a five-year extension with the passage of the Protecting American from Tax Hikes (PATH) Act, ensuring that the credit will be part of the tax code for the foreseeable future.
Eligible Target Groups
The credit is available to employers that hire the following individuals:
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Family (TANF) Recipients
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) Recipients
- Designated Community Residents
- Residents of Empowerment Zones or Rural Renewal Counties
- Vocational Rehabilitation Referrals
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI) Recipients
- Summer Youth Employees
- Long-Term Unemployed
- Depending upon the target group the new hire belongs to, an employer can reduce their federal income tax liability by up to $9,600 per each eligible employee hired
- The credit offsets an employer’s cost for recruiting, onboarding and training of new employees
- There is no cap on the number of eligible people an employer can hire or the amount of tax credits that can be claimed each year
- Private companies, C Corporations, S Corporations, LLC’s and even Non-Profit 501(c)’s can qualify
Benefits for American Workers
- Aides workers who have consistently faced significant barriers to employment
- Incentivizes workplace diversity and facilities access to good jobs for American workers
- Helps workers move from economic dependency into self-sufficiency as they earn a steady income and become contributing taxpayers
How We Can Help
Whether your company is currently experiencing rapid growth, anticipating future growth, or just has frequent new hires, alliantgroup can assist your human resources professionals in developing a process that can provide a significant advantage to your bottom line each year. With nearly 1 in 10 new employees potentially eligible for this employment tax credit, it is important for businesses to implement a reliable and effective WOTC identification and qualification program now.
While the WOTC is a federal tax credit, the screening and certification processes are administered at the state level with varying policies, documentation, deadlines and submission requirements. alliantgroup’s convenient web portal provides a simple tool to assemble all of the required information and forms for employee certification and compliance with all federal and state policies, including the 28 Day Rule. Coupled with our team of tax experts, this approach makes claiming the WOTC nearly effortless by managing the entire process for you, including prescreening, certification, filing, calculations and reporting.
For immediate assistance, please contact Rizwan Virani.
For more information on the Work Opportunity Tax Credit (WOTC), please complete the form below to contact alliantgroup.